RE: Google Book Search and fair use

I can't disagree with this statement more:  "That means creating
a copyright environment in which consumer, college students and
researchers don't even think about 'rolling their own'."

To adequately meet the needs of our users, we need to combine,
remix, and mash-up the motley pile of interfaces and information
resources. What we need for publishers, content owners, and
content distributors to do is: - to work on ways to show
provenance when information is extracted and presented in a new
package - use standards - provide hooks, apis, and machine
readable interfaces - be more flexible in licensing so that the
content can be fully exploited (while still being appropriately
paid for)

(maybe I'm not disagreeing with Adam upon re-reading his e-mail)

Our users *have* to roll their own because we are obviously not
doing enough for them.  When you have scientists spending time
trying to hack your resource instead of doing new science or
librarians programming AROUND errors in your system instead of
doing new and interesting things... Then it's your problem and
it's ours.

(my personal opinion and not that of my place of work)

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center
The Johns  Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory