Re: Google Book Search and fair use

Sandy, my point hinges on a distinction between digital copies of a printed page and digital copies of a text. What is significant about the Google process is that they are making copies of the text, as well as copies of the page (they give the copy of the page back to the library, but they keep for themselves the much more valuable 'interpreted' digital copy of the text). There are lots of ways of producing useful digital copies of a text, but most of the efficient ones use an electronic file as the source (or something similar). This copying can be managed by the publisher or the rights holder (and publishers are rightly quite concerned over the distribution of the PDF file). Google for the library project has not gone to publishers for 'source files from the text' they have generated their own digital copies (interpretations -- and with mistakes) of original texts. The Google process requires a lot of investment and a big software system. But disseminated low-cost ways of digitizing texts are coming.

What happened to music about 30 years ago, and is now starting to happen with books, is that it is quite feasible to produce useful copies from the physical product. You dont need the source file. I predict that there will soon be lots of ways of producing (image scan->OCR->text database) usable digital copies of any printed text. The chances are someone is working on how to do this with an iPhone right now. Point the iPhone at your book, flip the pages, and *hey presto* you have your enhanced text database, accessible from and fed by your iPhone.

CDs still have the rubric (similar to that which you find on books) that "Unauthorised copying, duplication, hiring, broadcasting ... etc is prohibited." But nobody (including all the book publishers of my acquaintance) ever seeks authorisation before copying for their iPod, their home music centre, or before sundry other things that may or may not be authorised by the music publishers. Because copying the physical copy is so easy (and so useful) music companies have had to abandon the fiction of opt in permissions for copying music. They still print the rubric on the sleeve of the CD, but I bet they dont get many requests for digital copies from end-users.

If book publishers judge that maintaining the fiction of an 'opt in' permissions system will work when it is so easy and so useful to make databases of books from physical volumes, they have a rude shock coming.

Adam