RE: Blackwell journals now on Wiley InterScience

I was amazed that they would even try to do this switchover in
one weekend.  No matter how long they've been planning it.

Compare:

A model of success has been the move of AAS journals from
University of Chicago Press to IOP.  We're talking orders of
magnitude fewer files, with extensive planning, running both
systems in parallel, and turning on of the access controls only
after making certain that everything moved properly.

Not to mention the fact that representatives from AAS and IOP
have done a really thorough job of communicating the progress and
asking for feedback.

Even in systems where there have been fairly big interface
problems, the vendor has run old and new interfaces in parallel
for up to 6 months or so.  (Think Web of Science, Lexis-Nexis,
and currently EbscoHost).

If you look at the spreadsheet of missing or corrupted files -
you'll see anywhere from 1 to like 16,000.  What *are* we
supposed to do if we need something from the journal with 16k
missing files (a typo, I hope)? Wait till mid July?

The other irritating thing is that I actually liked the Synergy
interface and I don't like Interscience. Sigh.  Happy long
weekend for those of you in the U.S.

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory