Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

Joe

Maybe I'm not listening, but it's interesting that your big ideas
- the importance of collaboration between smaller publishers and
concentration on value-adding - are exactly what I've been
advocating in this discussion.

Where we appear to differ is in the belief that the subscription
environment is one in which the smaller publishers can successful
thrive in the long term.  I think it's not, and to date the move
of smaller publishers away from that environment (either through
surrendering independence by moving to a large publisher or by
shifting to open access) tends to support my view.  Clubbing
togther will buy time, but as long as libraries continue to spend
increasing proportions of their budgets on big deals from smaller
numbers of large publishers that time is limited.

David