Administrivia: Subscribe/Unsuscribe, Postpone, Plain Text

Dear Liblicense-l Readers:  Apologies from your moderator for
sending yesterday to the list a message that was intended for one
individual who wished to unsubscribe.

That said, with summer and holidays upon us, it's an opportune
time to review the easiest ways to unsubscribe and re-subscribe,
if you are leaving for a time and don't wish to receive the list
mail.

Alternatively, you can opt to "postpone."

Instructions for both options are provided below.  Please write
me with any specific questions, or if things don't work for you.
Most often the reason for lack of success is that an e-mail
address may have changed between the time you subscribed and
today.  In that case, your system has probably aliased your old
address and you are still receiving messages as if there had been
no change at all.  However, your new messages are in fact being
sent differently, and the listproc software has no way of knowing
about the change.  Your command will succeed if you use your
original subscriber address.  If you're stymied, let me know and
we'll work together to figure things out.

Also, while we have your attention:  please remember that the
listproc software is set to receive and distribute ASCII (plain
text) messages.  If you send attachments or HTML, or otherwise
formatted text (such as often seems to happen from an Apple
computer, or with other invisible tagging methods, which you
might not even see), listproc turns these into some form of
gibberish.  In some cases I can read through the gibberish and
clean out all the extraneous characters (such as those pesky
"=20") one at a time, by hand.  In some cases I think I have
succeeded, but they elude me -- and you all receive messy
messages.  Sorry about that.  In other cases, to interpret the
messages is beyond me and and I have to give up!

The time spent on making messages readable outstrips any actual
moderation time by a factor of at least 10 to 1.  And it can be
time that's frustratingly or tediously spent.  Any help you can
provide will be much appreciated.  For example, one can generally
set one's mailers to send out 'plain text."  Why do we use plain
text?  Because we have subscribers all over the world and for a
visible percentage of them, heavily formatted text is not easily
readable, or not at all.

Thank you, as always,
Ann Okerson/Moderator

***

SUB-UNSUB:

In order to subscribe or UNsubscribe correctly, go to the
LIBLICENSE Web site at:
www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/index.shtml

Look for the bar along the top for the "liblicense" list and
click on it. There you will find a quick way to subscribe or
UNsubscribe, by inputting your email address and clicking the
appropriate request.

***

POSTPONE:

To postpone, send a message to listproc@lists.yale.edu
Leave the subject line blank.
In the body of the message, type:  set liblicense-l mail postpone

To resume send a message to listproc@lists.yale.edu:
Leave the subject line blank.
In the body of the message, type:  set liblicense-l mail ack

****