Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

David's comment that we hear little about the viable alternatives
to open access for small publishers suggests to me that someone
isn't listening.  While there are undoubtedly many who are
arguing that OA has no real possibilities, there are many people
working responsibly in this area, and they have found that the
number of options for small publishers is large.  OA is just one
of many things that a small publisher can do, and not necessarily
one of the stronger options.

Before I say more here, I want to note that I spent most of
yesterday working with a client on an OA business model.  It
looks promising.  More and more of my time goes into this kind of
project.  Personally, I am agnostic about whether a service is OA
or toll-access (though I am not keen on advertising-supported
content services because of its corruptive nature).  What I do
care about is that the service works and the claims for it are
not disproportionate to its benefits.

The problem is not big publishers versus small publishers.  The
problem is that many small publishers are small because they
think small.  A conversation about publishing on the Internet
that begins with a statement about the low-cost nature of
Internet dissemination is a waste of everybody's time.  To think
big, a publisher has to focus on creating value, not counting
pennies.  If we approached higher education the way some people
approach digital publishing, our students would not yet have
caught up with Watson and Crick and by current affairs we would
mean the conference at Yalta.

Small publishers can organize themselves into groups with more
marketing clout.  They can outsource all their technology and get
the best in the world (no in-house technology at even the largest
commercial publishers in 2008 is as robust as what various
service organizations now provide). They can create international
marketing consortia; they can create their own "big deal"
programs.  They can retain top-flight search-engine marketers to
improve traffic and drive up citation counts. They can create
centralized production services that will offer the benefits of
scale.

Is there a shorthand way to do all this?  Sure:  bring your
journal to a university press, a half-dozen of which can provide
all these services.  But you can also do these things without a
university press umbrella.

At bottom, the problem for small publishers is governance, not
toll-access publishing or competition from commercial firms.
Few not-for-profit academic publishers have boards that are
really qualified to help direct a management team.  Typically
boards are staffed with high-ranking faculty, with no experience
in commerce, digital media, and the challenge of meeting a
payroll.  A distinguished professor of history has as much claim
to sit on the board of an academic publisher as the head of the
warehouse has to be the chairman of the department of history.
Intelligence means nothing without domain knowledge.

OA is just another tool.  What matters is the hands that grasp
that tool or any other.

Joe Esposito