Re: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions

Enderby's calculation assumes that all OA journals will charge
publication fees and that all fees will be paid by universities.

Both assumptions are very implausible.  As you know, most
peer-reviewed OA journals today charge no publication fees at
all, and many funding agencies allow grantees to use grant funds
to pay those fees.  We shouldn't conclude that Enderby's
calculation shows the future under OA journals, merely the
consequences of those simplifying and simplistic assumptions.

For my analysis of calculations that rest on those assumptions,
and suggestions for refining the calculation to make it more
realistic, see my article, "Good Facts, Bad Predictions," SPARC
Open Access Newsletter, June 2006,
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/06-02-06.htm#facts

       Peter Suber