Access Question

Good Morning,

Recently we purchased two of GALE's digital newspaper
collections. We were furnished with the content of these
collections on data cartridges. Even though we are paying the
hosting fee and hope never to have to take the cartridges out of
the their boxes, I felt somewhat comforted at the fact that we
did actually have control of the content should we want to or
need to mount it locally.

Now we are planning to purchase Literary Criticism Online and I
find that there is not a similar arrangement for e-books. The
Terms and Conditions allow for us to "make further copies of the
Product in perpetuity for purposes of preservation, refreshing,
or migration". The prospect of making copies of every PDF
document in the collection is about as daunting as scanning the
entire CLC myself. Am I crazy to worry about this? And should I
have to if I've already paid the exorbitant fee GALE charges for
the digital version of a work I've already paid an exorbitant fee
for in print?

Rhonda Gonzales
Dean of Library Services
Colorado State University - Pueblo