Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

Naturally, I am all in favor of Joe's proposed solution! But Karl
misunderstood me. I was talking about journals with already
well-established reputations changing their business models from
subscription-based to fee-based, so the problem Karl points out
would not pertain. My point was, rather, that this shift in
funding source will simply shift the tensions in universities
from one point (currently, libraries and their budgets) to
another (departments and administrative bodies charged with the
allocation of fees to faculty competing for the limited pot of
gold to support gold OA).

Sandy Thatcher