Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

I believe Karl has this exactly right.

I would phrase it this way:  Access to information is not a major
problem most of the time; access to vehicles of certification can
be a large problem (because certification is selective).

Authors thus need access to the brands of certification, which
are currently controlled mostly by publishers.  Brands are an
aspect of an attention economy.  We have learned to recognize
Coca Cola and Harold Varmus, as well as The Lancet and Nature.
Peer review in itself does not confer certification; peer review
in the context of respected brands does.

An institution that wants to modify this situation needs to
develop or assert a brand for certification.  Theoretically,
Harvard's OA repository would associate the Harvard brand with
the articles deposited there.  This is what I call "provostial
publishing," in which the provost chooses the authors (by
choosing the faculty).  But not all provosts are dealt the same
hand; what works for Harvard won't work for less prestigious
institutions.

The more rational policy (yes, this is my hobbyhorse) would be
for universities to increase their support for their university
presses, which combine the selectivity of editorial review with
the imprimatur of the institution.  I know of no university that
is pursuing this strategy (though some universities are very
proud, and rightly so, of their presses).

Joe Esposito

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Bridges"
<kbridges@uvm.edu> To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>; "Joseph J.
Esposito" <espositoj@gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008
8:40 AM Subject: Re: universities experiment with paying OA
feesBut people miss the point...Regardless of how OA changes the
economics of publishing (or what form it comes in) -- it is a
dead letter until such time that universities accept OA , on the
same broad basis that they accept "conventional" publishing, as
counting towards promotion and tenure.

Unless that is in place academics, especially younger academics,
have no incentive to publish in OA journals because it won't
count towards their tenure!!!

Karl Bridges
University of Vermont