RE: universities experiment with paying OA fees

There may be "quite small" differences in levels of prestige in
some of the fields with which David is familiar, but in fields I
know best--and handle as an acquiring editor--the differences
between those levels is quite large indeed.

Take political philosophy, for example. There are two outstanding
journals in this field, one for analytic philosophers (Philosophy
& Public Affairs) and one for political scientists (Political
Theory). Everything else pales by comparison (though, for
political scientists, publishing in the APSA's flagship journal,
the APSR, can bring comparable prestige). P&PA, which I helped
found at Princeton UP, is now published by Blackwell (and
experienced a very sharp increase in subscription price when it
was taken over); PT has always been published by Sage.

If these journals go Gold OA and charge stiff fees, authors will
lose a lot by going to the second-tier journals (like The Review
of Politics, for political scientists). I would agree with David
that at the secondary and tertiary levels, differences in
prestige may not be so pronounced and there differences in OA
fees may enter more importantly into authors' decisions. And it
might help weed out the overchargers if their fees are indeed way
out of line with those of their main competitors, resulting in a
more competitive market.

Still, at the highest prestige level I expect that journals will
still be able to charge monopolistic prices and not see much
dropoff in their rates of submission. Indeed, those journals
probably could even earn more in the marketplace than they can
today because authors will be making the decisions directly, not
via the proxy of librarians.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press