RE: universities experiment with paying OA fees

I'm afraid that discrimination is a fact of life where there is
not an unlimited budget.  Universities (and departments and
research groups) make decisions on what research to pursue, what
departments to fund, which groups to allocate space to, which
journals and books to buy, what equipment to buy, how many
researchers and students to send to conferences, etc., etc. In
each case there is discrimination.  It is not unreasonable to
suppose that there may be the same type of discrimination when it
comes to where researchers publish.

And let's not forget this is already happening.  Page, figure,
and reprint charges are already factors that researchers take
into account when they decide where to publish.  Over the years
Anthony will have heard the complaints of many UK researchers
that they could not publish in US society journals because they
did not have the funds to pay the charges.  There is a utopian
myth that all under the subscription model authors are free to
publish where they want - they're not!

I disagree with Sandy regarding the degree to which authors will
be able to shop around.  It is certainly true that prestige is a
hugely important factor in shaping an author's decision on where
to submit their paper, but it's not the only one.  As I say, in
the past the presence of page charges have been sufficient
deterrent to those without funds to pay.  But in many fields the
differences between prestige (or at least its proxy, impact) can
be quite small.  So if you know that your work is not quite good
enough for the top-ranked journal in your field, you may have
three or four 'B' rank journals that you would be happy to
publish in.  In that case the publication charges may play a part
in making shaping your decision.

This is even before looking at whether there will be a
relationship between 'prestige' and cost to authors.  I have a
suspicion that some society publishers are going to be able to
provide greater prestige at lower cost than some of their
commercial rivals and so the prestigious 'A' journal in a field
may be cheaper than the less prestigious 'B' journals!

David