Re: universities experiment with paying OA fees

Price sensitivity is key to the solution, and I'm glad that David
brings this point up again.  It also allows us to debate the
rationality of different publisher models on economic (rather
than moral) grounds.  The Report of the Cornell University
Library Task Force on Open Access Publishing done in 2004
contains a large section where we considered the implications of
various models of funding (see pages 7-11 of
http://hdl.handle.net/1813/193 ).  None of them, of course, is
without problems.

What is unfortunate with the library experiments with author
funds is that they are experiments.  There is little explicit
rationale behind the programs except the need to try new models,
and little theoretical basis explaining why THIS particular model
is used over OTHER potential models.  The other problem with
library experiments is that funding lines, once started, become
permanent.  When an AUL for Collections talks about setting up an
'experiment,' he/she is essentially mandating a permanent line.
In the past, I argued (unsuccessfully) on economic grounds that
if the library were willing to pay author fees for commercial OA
publishers, that it should pay author page charges to non-profit
society publishers.  Our ire for the commercial publishers could
be redirected to helping the non-profit publishers.  Instead we
funded BMC.

Using David's rationale, a subsidy program, where the library
pays a % of the author publishing expenses retains price
sensitivity, and if price sensitivity is at the heart of the
problem, then this is indeed a model worth trying. Paying all
fees until a limited budget runs out would encourage no rational
behavior except to submit one's bills into the library ASAP.

What is becoming disheartening about this debate is that we've
been restating the same arguments for the last five years and
seem no closer to any resolution than before.  Are we missing any
information that would help us move on, or are we destined to
rehash the same arguments and talk past each other until a new
model emerges?

--Phil Davis