From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Hamaker, Charles
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 10:01 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Book chapters on Reserve?

I find it incredibly inefficient that generally you can't put an
e-book chapter on reserve because you can't access the chapters
in a book that way. Some licenses for e-books while permitting
"printed course packs" inclusion seem to exclude electronic
course packs behind secure systems (like blackboard). You have to
make a physical copy and scan it (the logic of which escapes me)
for reserves use or course use in a secure network environment.
Or have an inefficient link to the "whole" book electronically.
(I'm talking about situations where appropriate fees for
electronic access have been paid, sometimes even for multiple
simultaneous user access.) The "format" is driving some ludicrous
practices.

So let's create an eBook system for academic libraries that make
it impossible for faculty to do what they do when it comes to
reserves or course readings, i.e. use chapters as if they were
articles.

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223