RE: Provostial Publishing: a return to circa 1920

At the risk of restating Ehling's more eloquent comment on the
post itself -- this brings us back to gaining participation in an
institutional repository.  It is my opinion (which I know a few
people share) that contributions to an IR benefit the institution
and raise the social capital of the institution -- not the
individual author. Individual authors need to get cited and get
recognized and the easiest way to do this is to be found.  Your
work is more likely to be found in ArXiv or other disciplinary
repositories than in your IR due to size and co-location with
other similar works. You might be one of two physicists working
in an area at your institution - why would someone who wanted
information in that area go to your institution's repository?
Yes, search engines and harvesting, but many researchers still
chain and browse and look at the "what's new" section.

More attention should be paid to virtual journals and a newer
counterpart, the blog carnival.  When the new physics journal
looks like a phone book (or Sears catalog -- does anyone remember
them?) and with another physics publisher disaggregating their
journals, to an extent, then these new aggregations should become
more important.  Will the stamp of the editor or selector for the
virtual journal become meaningful?  Will one large chemical
society's refusal to participate in nano virtual journals lessen
their relevance in that research area?

Who does look at the institutional imprimatur is the public.  I
think this came from Gieryn in his work on the demarcation of
science.  The public relies most heavily on the institution's
reputation to judge the authority of scientists and scientists'
work.

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Voice  240.228.4812 (Washington), 443.778.4812 (Baltimore)
Fax 443.778.5353