R: cost of peer review and electronic distribution of scholarly jo=

Dear Stevan,

I totally share your statement on Richard Poynder's query, and
would like to give my contribution to the discussion. Sissa
Medialab is not exactly a publisher, but we have some journals
jointly published with IOP: JHEP, JCAP, JSTAT and JINST. We
provide the peer review for all our journals, and we believe that
the quality of our peer is very high. During the year 2007 these
journals published 1851 papers. The total revenue of our company
in the same fiscal year was 1.242.108 euros, without any loss. As
you can imagine our rejection rate is higher than zero, and the
number of reviewed papers is higher than the number of published
papers. I'm not disclosing any industrial secret here: we are a
limited company and our balance sheet is public, and our journals
are online and everybody can check these figures. The same
applies to any other commercial publisher, BTW...

I hope this helps.

Enrico M. Balli