RE: Institutional subscription question

Readers of this thread might be interested in this post on
William Patry's copyright blog --
http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2008/05/first-sale-victory-in-vernor.html

Prof. Patry's qualifications working for the House Judiciary
Committee and the Copyright Office (and now Google), as well as
writing a major treatise on copyright, make him a recognize
authority in the field.  In this post he recounts the details of
a recently decided case about first sale in the US, but he also
reprints a lovely and poignant essay about why first sale is so
important in our copyright environment.  The essay is about
sharing books, so not directly relevant to the discussion we have
been having, but it is worth a read in its own right.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Scholarly Communications Officer
Perkins Library, Duke University
Durham, NC  27708
kevin.l.smith@duke.edu
http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/

"B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
05/20/2008 08:38 PM
RE: Institutional subscription question

And as the originator of this thread I did not mean to imply it
was a widespread practice among libraries, or even a workable
practice. I was involved in a discussion of this issue on another
list, and thought you all would be a good group to touch base
with. And I was correct...the folks on the other list really
liked Scott Plutchak's essay.

Thanks again!

Bernie Sloan