Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:03 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: The cost of peer review and electronic distribution of
scholarly papers

I don't know of any such research offhand, but I would hope that
it would provide a true calculation of faculty time devoted to
this task by pro-rating faculty salaries (including benefits
costs) based on averages published by, say, The Chronicle of
Higher Education annually. I would hope that it would also fully
assess the costs involved in operating sophisticated editorial
managements systems that many publishers now use, again on some
kind of pro-rated basis. For copyediting, it should not be too
difficult to arrive at a rate per page copyedited based on the
average hourly rate for copyediting these days of between $25 and
$30. This latter cost would not seem to be encompassed by either
categories (a) or (b), but it is an important cost of value added
that is too often overlooked.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press