Project MUSE News: MUSE introduces linked subject headings

Of potential interest to liblicense subscribers; please excuse
cross-posting.

Project MUSE introduces linked subject headings

In April 2008, Project MUSE began releasing current journal
issues and articles in a new, enhanced format, reflecting our
transition to a new XML workflow. Users of articles and Tables of
Contents in the new format may have noticed an additional feature
clickable subject headings for each article, allowing fast and
easy connections to related content in Project MUSE. Built upon
the rich controlled vocabulary classification of all MUSE
articles and reviews with Library of Congress Subject Headings
(LCSH) by our in-house professional cataloging staff, this new
functionality quickly connects scholars to additional relevant
content to enhance their research.

Linked subject headings are a powerful discovery tool for users.
Following a subject heading link brings the user to an
alphabetical listing of all current subject headings utilized for
MUSE articles, with the selected heading as the entry point in
the list. The researcher may then view additional articles that
share the same subject heading, or peruse further articles with
related headings. The list of subject headings is annotated with
the current number of MUSE articles and reviews to which that
heading is assigned.

One of the many benefits of the linked subject headings is the
ability to refine a research topic when articles with a more
specific focus are needed. Conversely, the linked subject
headings can guide a user to articles with a broader approach
when the assignment requires a more general discussion of the
research topic.

MUSE has always assigned LC subject headings to articles to help
users identify the topics discussed within an article and in
turn, to select articles most suitable to their research. Now, by
simply clicking on a subject heading, users can move from subject
to subject, article to article, exploring topics and articles
related to their search topic.

The new journal issue and article formats are forerunners to a
significant redesign of Project MUSE's complete web presence at
http://muse.jhu.edu, due to launch in August 2008. Among the
goals of the redesign are more intuitive navigation among and
within both content and informational pages, compatibility with
emerging web standards, support for selected Web 2.0
functionality, and an enhanced online experience for users and
librarians utilizing MUSE in teaching and research. All new MUSE
content produced since mid-April 2008 reflects elements of the
new design and offers the linked subject headings functionality;
as older content is converted to the new format, the feature will
also become available for archival articles, reviews, and Tables
of Contents. Please "pardon our dust" as we begin the process of
enhancing and improving our web presence. We welcome comments,
questions, and feedback to muse@press.jhu.edu.

Melanie B. Schaffner
Marketing and Sales Manager, Project MUSE
c/o The Johns Hopkins University Press
2715 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218 USA
melanie@muse.jhu.edu