Re: Institutional subscription question

There was never, under traditional library reserve room
practices, any implied license that the library could routinely
supply multiple copies to fulfill all the needs of "classroom
use." Under the ALA's own guidelines, it was suggested that "a
reasonable number of copies will in most instances be less than
six," which would hardly be adequate to supply a copy to every
member of most classes. Here is the relevant section of the ALA
Model Policy (adopted in 1982):

C. Library Reserve Uses

At the request of a faculty member, a library may photocopy and
place on reserve excerpts from copyrighted works in its
collection in accordance with guidelines similar to those
governing formal classroom distribution for face-to-face teaching
discussed above. This University [College] believes that these
guidelines apply to the library reserve shelf to the extent it
functions as an extension of classroom readings or reflects an
individual student's right to photocopy for his personal
scholastic use under the doctrine of fair use. In general,
librarians may photocopy materials for reserve room use for the
convenience of students both in preparing class assignments and
in pursuing informal educational activities which higher
education requires, such as advanced independent study and
research.

If the request calls for only one copy to be placed on reserve,
the library may photocopy an entire article, or an entire chapter
from a book, or an entire poem. Requests for multiple copies on
reserve should meet the following guidelines:

        1. the amount of material should be reasonable in relation
to the total amount of material assigned for one term of a course
taking into account the nature of the course, its subject matter
and level, 17 U.S.C. SS107(1) and (3);

        2. the number of copies should be reasonable in light of
the number of students enrolled, the difficulty and timing of
assignments, and the number of other courses which may assign the
same material, 17 U.S.C. SS107(1) and (3);

        3. the material should contain a notice of copyright, see
17 U.S.C. SS401;

        4. the effect of photocopying the material should not be
detrimental to the market for the work. (In general, the library
should own at least one copy of the work.) 17 U.S.C. SS107(4).

For example, a professor may place on reserve as a supplement to
the course textbook a reasonable number of copies of article from
academic journals or chapters from trade books. A reasonable
number of copies will in most instances be less than six, but
factors such as the length or difficulty of the assignment, the
number of enrolled students and the length of time allowed for
completion of the assignment may permit more in unusual
circumstances.

In addition, a faculty member may also request that multiple
copies of photocopied, copyrighted material be placed on the
reserve shelf if there is insufficient time to obtain permission
from the copyright owner. For example, a professor may place on
reserve several photocopies of an entire article from a recent
issue of Time magazine or the New York Times in lieu of
distributing a copy to each member of the class. If you are in
doubt as to whether a particular instance of photocopying is fair
use in the reserve reading room, you should waive any fee for
such a use.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press