Re: Institutional subscription question

Kevin Smith appears to be nervous about the suggestion that there
can be implied licenses in a sales contracts that can trump the
first sale doctrine of copyright law; I have a question about a
different implied license.

I have often heard Lolly Gasaway state that libraries agreed to
differential pricing of journal subscriptions in recognition of
the fact that journals in libraries are used more intensively
than individual subscriptions.  Multiple people could read an
issue, and it is likely that multiple copies of individual
articles will be made, both by individuals and for classroom use.
In this environment, differential pricing became a de facto site
license. Libraries paid more for subscriptions because there
would be multiple uses of the material.

We are in a situation now where publishers seem to want to charge
differential rates for institutional subscriptions and also
charge for individual uses of articles (such as for classroom
use) that had previously been covered by the institutional rate.
We have suggested that a library that attempted to subscribe to
journals at the individual rate would be engaged in fraudulent
practice. Are publishers who insist on payments for individual
uses when an institutional rate has been paid also in fraudulent
disregard of the implied license?

Peter B. Hirtle
CUL Intellectual Property Officer
Technology Strategist