RE: Institutional subscription question

Oh dear!  Kevin, my comments were not intended to be an
"over-reaction and alienation of one's own customers.  I was
responding to a specific query about the legal status of such
donations.  That is not the same as a threat, but a simple
assessment of the legal position.  One of the reasons why you and
I may not wholly agree on that position is that there is little
case law simply because publishers and libraries do not litigate
except in the most extreme cases.  The scholarly publishing
system exists on trust, and on an assumption that suppliers and
customers behave ethically.

I entirely agree that accepting such donations is not widespread,
is not practical for libraries, and in any case is acknowledged
by the vast majority of librarians as unethical.  I did not raise
this issue, which I have always thought to be a phenomenon of
minor importance, and do not wish to prolong it.

John Cox
Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden