RE: Institutional subscription question

Chen Xiaotian's posting is a confusion of different scenarios.
What I set out to state is the strict legal position, which is
based in contract (for the personal subscriber) and tort
(inducing breach of contract by the library).

As I have said in another posting, publishers are concerned about
damage to current subscription revenue.  No publisher is going to
initiate proceedings based on a bequest - the subscriber is dead,
and the library cannot be held responsible for the donor's will.
Doctors, in my experience, do not leave copies of medical or
other learned journals in their waiting rooms - more likely
mass-market magazines, which are not the issue here.

There have been a number of legal actions brought by publishers
over the years, most of which are settled out of court.  In
recent years publishers successfully stopped a subscription agent
in the USA from ordering personal subscriptions and exporting the
copies to Asia at the institutional subscription rate, aiming to
enrich himself at the publishers' expense. Cases have been
brought by groups of publishers to stop the sale of
'international student editions', which are priced low
exclusively for students in developing countries, to students in
the USA and in other developed countries; this was settled out of
court in 2003, and the issue there was directly analogous to the
personal/institutional subscription here.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden