APS 2009 Journal Prices

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Margaret Reich
Office: 301.634.7071
MReich@the-APS.org

AMERICAN PHYSIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (APS) ANNOUNCES 2009 SUBSCRIPTION
PRICES

Nominal increase of 2.5 percent for 2009 subscriptions is due to
income from new Author's Choice Program

Bethesda, MD (May 16, 2008) -The cost of subscribing to the 14
scientific journals published by the American Physiological
Society (APS; www.the-APS.org <http://www.the-aps.org/> ) will
rise by a nominal 2.5 percent in 2009.  Margaret Reich, Executive
Editor of the journals, said the increase will apply to
subscriptions for the American Journal of Physiology - Cell
Physiology; American Journal of Physiology - Consolidated;
American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism;
American Journal of Physiology - Gastrointestinal and Liver
Physiology; American Journal of Physiology - Heart and
Circulatory Physiology; American Journal of Physiology - Lung
Cellular and Molecular Physiology; American Journal of Physiology
- Regulatory, Integrative & Comparative Physiology; American
Journal of Physiology - Renal Physiology; Journal of Applied
Physiology; Journal of Neurophysiology; Physiological Genomics;
Physiological Reviews; Physiology; and The Physiologist.-

Author's Choice Revenues Responsible for Small Increase

The less-than-expected increase is due in part to revenues
generated by the Society's new program, Author's Choice. The
program, introduced nine months ago, allows authors who publish
with the APS and want to provide the public with immediate access
to the results the ability to do so, for a fee. Author response
to the new program has been positive.

According to Reich, 'The APS is a nonprofit organization working
with a largely nonprofit subscriber base. We have chosen to use a
portion of our new revenues to help offset the cost of
subscriptions.' As a result, next year's increase is
approximately 50 percent less than the increase announced for
2008.

Reich noted that this is an economically tumultuous time for the
academic librarians, the Society's primary customer.  'Using new,
non-subscriber revenue to help reduce the burden of costs on our
customers is one of several ways we hope to help minimize some of
the difficult choices librarians now face,' she said.

The APS' 14 journals are a continuing contribution to the
advancement of scientific knowledge and education, and have been
since our first scientific journal was published in 1898,
according to APS Executive Director Martin Frank. He noted,
'Then, as now, the APS remains committed to the distribution of
our content at a cost that is within reach of the user.'

About the APS

Physiology is the study of how molecules, cells, tissues and
organs function to create health or disease. The American
Physiological Society is a nonprofit organization devoted to
fostering scientific education and research, and the
dissemination of information in the physiological sciences. From
its beginnings in l887 the Society has grown to more than 10,500
researcher-members today. In addition to being a member-based
organization, the APS is a premier not-for-profit publisher in
the life sciences. Its publications are among the most respected
and frequently cited in the field. The Society publishes 14
widely acclaimed scholarly journals and recently posted more than
650,000 pages of historical scientific studies online. For
further information log on to http://www.the-APS.org
<http://www.the-aps.org/> .

Physiology is the study of how molecules, cells, tissues and
organs function to create health or disease. The American
Physiological Society (APS; www.The-APS.org/press) has been an
integral part of this discovery process since it was established
in 1887.

Note: For further information, contact Margaret Reich, Executive
Editor, APS Publications at MReich@the-aps.org or 301.634.7101.

Martin Frank, Ph.D.
Executive Director, American Physiological Society
9650 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20814-3991 USA
Tel: 301-634-7118
Fax: 301-634-7241
E-mail: mfrank@the-aps.org
APS Home Page: www.the-aps.org