Re: On Parasitism and Double-Dipping

P.S. The Chronicle today provides some hard data from the NCAA to
support  what I just said here. Consider these facts:

A March report from the NCAA concludes what many have long feared
about the real costs of college sports: The vast majority of
athletics departments operate in the red.... As a result, just 17
of the more than 300 athletics programs in all of Division
I-"about 5 percent"-earned a net profit between 2004 and 2006,
with ticket sales and private donations accounting for more than
half of all revenue....

Salaries for coaches and support staff are the largest and
fastest-growing expense in all Division I sports programs. In
Division I-A, the median salary for head football coaches grew by
47 percent between 2004 and 2006, rising to $855,500 from
$582,000, while the median salary for men's basketball coaches
rose 15 percent, to $611,900....

<snip>