Institutional Subscriptions -- FILMS

The recent thread initiated by Bernie Sloan on donating
institutional journal subscriptions drew incisive replies, from
Eleanor Cook's "old trick" to Scott Plutchak's fraud analysis to
Kevin Smith's "first sale" reminder. As Eleanor insists, the move
to e-journals weakens much of the force of the issue.

I wonder about an analogous situation, that of films being
offered for sale with both institutional and individual prices.
When there is no choice but to obtain the item from a publisher
insisting on dual pricing, I agree with Scott that to represent
that you're buying for personal use a film meant to go directly
into a library collection would be fraud, at least in common
parlance. But what about situations in which the film is offered
for sale by the publisher and by several vendors, some of whom do
not adhere to the tiered pricing model? I think that, if a
publisher chooses to distribute its work through vendors, which
serve as retail ports on the stream of commerce, a purchasing
agent for a library may choose to do business with any of the
sellers he or she pleases--especially if the chosen one makes no
reference to the status of the buyer. I admit that I have
searched successfully for alternative vendors from which I bought
a film for $30 that, at another source, insisted that I pay $300.
I should emphasize that, in the purchases I'm making, I'm not
interested in obtaining exhibition rights (if I can avoid it), as
a public showing of a film is a form of use different from using
it for educational purposes.

--Joe

Joe Toth
Collection Development Librarian