RE: Institutional subscription question

I think that Scott's article in the BMLA in 2001 is very much to
the point. I would go further, and would be interested in
comments on my analysis of the legal position.

1.  The personal subscriber is in breach of the contract of sale
under which the personal subscription is supplied.  That there is
no written contract or terms and conditions is not necessarily
relevant.  A contract can be implied from conduct, and from
evidence of custom and practice.  A contract will then be implied
by the court.  There is enough 'custom and practice' on personal
subscriptions for it to be clear what the terms and conditions of
supply are - you only have to look at Scott's article to see that
the position is clear and understandable.

2.  While the doctrine of first sale applies in the USA (although
there appears to be no similar specific and direct provision in
most other countries' copyright laws), the library that accepts
donated copies of a journal held on personal subscription lays
itself open to legal action:

a.  If it encourages faculty to donate personal subscription
copies to the library, it is inducing a breach of contract, which
is actionable. Personal subscriptions are accepted for the
individual's personal use, not for the use of library patrons in
general.

b.  If it uses such donated copies as 'library copies', it lays
itself open to action for fraud.

c.  If individual librarians, or the library as a matter of
policy, actively encourage faculty to make such donations in
order to 'save the library money', it is arguable that a criminal
offence may have been committed, which in the UK is called
'obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception', or, in plain
language, fraud.

So what would be likely to happen?  If a library systematically
accepts personal subscription donations and cancels its
institutional subscriptions, I predict that a group of publishers
would bring an action to stop it - i.e. an injunction.  The
personal subscribers would lose their subscriptions and find it
difficult to place another personal subscription with the same
publisher(s).  And the library might also face a claim for the
journal subscriptions it had knowingly replaced by such personal
subscriptions.

This exchange may well persuade journal publishers to be quite
explicit on their web sites and in each journal of the terms and
conditions that apply to personal as well as institutional
subscriptions.  That would leave no doubt about the matter.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden