RE: Institutional subscription question

Bernie Sloan has raised a point that recurs from time to time.

The position is that personal subscriptions are provided on the
basis that the personal subscriber uses the journal SOLELY for
his/her individual private study and research, often sent to the
subscriber's home address. Contrast that with an institutional
subscription, under which ALL library patrons may use it - this
is analogous to a "site license".

For the personal subscriber to donate his/her copy to the library
would be a breach of the terms and conditions of the personal
subscription, and the publisher would be advised to discontinue
the subscription with immediate effect - that is what I would
have done when I was a journal publisher at Carfax.

For the library, circumventing a library subscription by
accepting such a donation and putting the copy/copies in the
library for access by all would be unlawful.

There has been successful legal action in recent years relating
to the supply of personal subscription copies to libraries -
bought at the personal rate, but supplied at the institutional
rate - by unscrupulous "agents". This issue there was similar to
what Bernie is questioning.

What Bernie suggests amounts to theft.  So don't do it.

John Cox
Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden