Re: Certification and Dissemination

While I have concerns about the validity of the distinction between "commercial" and non-commercial" uses embedded in such licenses as those provided by Creative Commons, Joe, I don't think anyone in academe means to forestall or hamper in any way licensing of academic content for "commercial" purposes, which would indeed be to stand in the way of innovation and progress for society as a whole.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

I disagree with both Stevan Harnad and Sandy here.  The real point
is that the academy lives inside the economy, not outside it.

Rather than call this thread "Certification and Dissemination," I
would call it "Yesterday's Solutions, Tomorrow's Problems."

The problem with the vision of the future of scholarly
communications promulgated here is that it is modeled on two few
variables.  What does the individual researcher (presumably in any
field, though most of the examples apply primarily if not
exclusively to the experimental sciences) need to get his or her
work done? Well, obviously, access to the outputs of other
researchers.  Hence the need for open access.  Case closed.

Similarly, one could argue (as a college instructor of mine did many
years ago) that the spur gave rise to the political developments of
the Middle Ages, that introducing a free market economy would put an
end to despotism and terrorism in Iraq, and that in baseball,
pitching wins the game. Whatever the virtues of technology, the
principles of Milton Friedman, or a fastball, there is simply more
going on than is dreamt of in Harnad's ideology.

A case in point is the policy decision by many institutions to
create repositories (great idea), and then to insist that the
content, which is open, cannot be used for commercial purposes. Now,
what in heaven's name is the point of that?  Why would anyone want
to stand in the way of investment and the innovations that
investment triggers?  Better, in my view, for institutions to
license the use of their content for commercial applications,
bringing in revenue that could (for example) be used to sponsor
other research programs or for financial aid.  To advocate an end to
restricted content is one thing, but to declare war on the economy?

The open access movement would benefit considerably if it saw itself
not as an end in itself but as one facet of a broader academic
enterprise.  There are competing visions for OA, but one of them,
what I would term "conventional OA," will increase costs, reduce
investment, and stifle innovation in communications.

Joe Esposito