From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Phil Davis
Sent: 23 April 2008 00:08
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Token copensation, was: In the news (Georgia State)

I have found one article on paying economists to complete their reviews
more expediently, but nothing on whether paying a reviewer results in a
higher-quality review which appears to be the motivation for JHEP.
--Phil Davis

Author(s): MASON, PM; STEAGALL, JW; FABRITIUS, MM
Title: PUBLICATION DELAYS IN ARTICLES IN ECONOMICS - WHAT TO DO ABOUT
THEM
Source: APPLIED ECONOMICS, 24 (8): 859-874 AUG 1992

Abstract: The issue of publication delays in economics journals
is addressed based on survey responses from members of the
American Economic Association. The results imply that there is
both a perceived and actual problem with the length of time it
takes to have journal articles published in economics. The
fundamental realization is that there is no one to blame for the
delays but ourselves. The survey results imply that if economists
were more efficient in reviewing documents and returning the
results, the delays could be reduced considerably. *To help
enhance efficiency, there seems to be considerable support for
the idea of paying reviewers, and for doing so on a sliding scale
relative to expeditiousness, and paying for this service through
larger assessments upon submission.* However, there is also an
emphasis that editors need a restructuring of their selection
process, and enhanced policing of reviewers.