New from Enc. Brit.

I wrote an article for the Encyclopedia Britannica about a decade
ago, when there was only the e-version, and it has appeared there
since; when they reprinted the whole set in 2002 my article
(biography of St. Augustine) was not regarded as pressingly
important enough to be included in the limited number of pages
they were willing to alter. But I remain on their books as a
contributor and so see mail from them, including a note today
offernig various new features and then a link to a press release
which suggests an interesting change of tactic.

First, the "feature":

"Very soon there will also be *new editing tools* so that
contributors such as yourself, and general readers as well, can
suggest updates and revisions to our content. These revisions and
suggestions will continue to go directly to the editors. In other
words, *we are not instituting a wiki*: all revisions and
suggested changes will continue to be vetted by our editorial
department. These new tools will replace our current feedback
system, which will need to be temporarily disabled as we launch
the new site."

Now the press release below (curtailed:  in full at
http://britannicanet.com/).  I would welcome guidance on
understanding the phrase "anyone else who publishes regularly on
the Internet".

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown U.

***

April 29th, 2008 by Tom

Britannica Opens Site for Free Access to Web Publishers, Linking

CHICAGO, April 29, 2008 - Bloggers, webmasters, online
journalists and anyone else who publishes regularly on the
Internet can now get free subscriptions to Britannica Online
(www.britannica.com).

Anyone interested in participating in Britannica's new WebShare
initiative can apply for a free subscription at
http://signup.eb.com or get more information at
http://britannicanet.com.

The free subscriptions are part of Britannica's effort to
increase awareness and use of its extensive information
resources, which include articles written by many top scholars,
some of them Nobel laureates.

"It's good business for us and a benefit to people who publish on
the Net," said Britannica president Jorge Cauz. "The level of
professionalism among Web publishers has really improved, and we
want to recognize that by giving access to the people who are
shaping the conversations about the issues of the day. Britannica
belongs in the middle of those conversations."

In addition to the free subscriptions, Web publishers can also
bring the value of Britannica's content to their own sites by
linking to any articles they find relevant to the topics they're
writing about.

Access to much of the site, including full-text entries from the
Encyclopaedia Britannica, normally requires a paid subscription.
There's an exception to that rule, however: When a Web site links
to a Britannica article Web surfers who click on that link get
the article in its entirety.

****