RE: Certification and Dissemination

As I said, if both repository dissemination and peer review are
being paid for by subscriptions, gold OA or some other method
then I personally have no problem.  I don't know how I could have
been clearer on this.

However, the Southampton University mandate (and by extension
other similar mandates) is unfunded because the University has
made no clear commitment to support the scholarly communication
system by continuing to subscribe to journals; or to make a clear
and unambiguous commitment to meet gold OA fees; or to come up
with some other method of funding the system.

I think that you made the point about subscription revenue
providing compensation for peer review because you misread or
misunderstood my first paragraph.  If it is paid for by
subscriptions as it has been for 350 years then, of course, no
problem.  If you have an unfunded mandate like Southampton
University's where: 1) authors have to deposit a version of the
article after publishers have added value, but 2) the University
has not made a commitment to cover gold OA fees, and 3) the
University expects to make 'subscription savings' through
cancellations then Southampton becomes a free rider on the rest
of the system and with enough free riders the system will break
down.

This argument is really a side show though as we simply don't
know how the subscription journal / repository relationship will
work although we have both agreed in the past that it will most
likely result in journals going out of business.

As regards the output of publicly funded research:  No, I am
sorry you are quite wrong.  If the output from the university was
'peer-reviewed journal articles' then the system would never have
needed publishers to organize the peer review.  I believe I
answered in my original post why this is not 'free'.
Incidentally, 'certification' is one of a number of areas where
publishers add value and it really must be noted that
certification is much more that simply running a peer review
*process*.

Anyway, it seems to me that the issue would easily be solved if
Southampton University makes a campus-wide commitment to meet
gold OA fees.  Why hasn't it?

Ian