Re: Playing a little game (was Georgia State)

Phil Davis writes

> Jonathan Wren who reported that the likelihood of an article
> being found freely-available at a non-publisher's website
> increases with the journal's impact factor [2].

I like the Wren paper a lot. I read it a long time a ago, but I
remember that Wren points out that many openly accessible papers
are found in places suggesting that have been put up for a
reading club and then have been left there. There is no
self-archiving in this. And crap papers don't make it to reading
groups. I suspect this can entirely explain the effect between
open access access and quality as judged by impact factor of
publishing journal.

Cheers,

Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                               RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel
phone: +7 383 330 6813                       skype: thomaskrichel