Re: In the news (Georgia State)

The purpose of publishing research is to increase the quality and
quantity of knowledge available to the human species. The idea
that research is published as a form of advertising is not
accurate.  It's quite clear that universities, through their
press offices et al, USE research to advertise the university,
attract students, attract donors, etc.  However, that's quite
different from the idea that advertising, in and of itself, is a
reason universities publish research. Quite frankly, if my school
wanted only advertising we could get better (and cheaper) results
by hiring an ad agency than investing $100 million plus yearly
into research.

Karl Bridges
University of Vermont