Certification and Dissemination

It's not that the author must choose (1) (journal) certification OR (2) (OA repository) dissemination: The right choice is of course BOTH (1) journal certification (peer review) AND (2) repository dissemination (OA self-archiving).

Joseph Esposito seems to keep wanting to imagine that what is being self-archived is only or mostly unrefereed preprints (and, he goes on to imagine: preprints never even destined to go on to become refereed postprints).

It would be a good idea to look at what it is that the 41 self-archiving mandates in ROARMAP are actually stipulating must be deposited. (Without a single exception, it is the refereed postprint.) http://www.eprints.org/signup/fulllist.php

Stevan Harnad