RE: In the news (Georgia State)

Thomas' reply raises some further questions:

1) Strictly speaking, arXiv is an electronic preprint server so
the papers there may not be the published version.  Are
researchers in physics happy to use that version?  Would
researchers in human medicine be happy to use a version of
unknown providence?  Would librarians be happy with that
situation?

2) The content that I am familiar with on arXiv almost always
associates a posted article with a journal.  Authors very quickly
add 'submitted to Physical Review E' or 'Published in Classical
and Quantum Gravity' (or whatever journal) to their preprint.
Why?  Well to get the authority / credibility / imprimatur /
brand identity of the journal.  This is tied to - but not
exclusively gained by - the peer review process of the journal.
It is very important to note that for many, many years (going
back to pre-web) journals have NOT been the method of primary
dissemination in some subjects. arXiv may provide access to
content, but trustworthiness and authority - for the time being
at least - still comes from journals (whatever business model is
used).  What would happen to academia if the primary mechanism of
identifying trustworthy content and assessing the order in which
to read papers was taken away?

3) As someone who represents society publishers I find Thomas'
final point very interesting.  I would be even more interested to
hear any ideas for mechanisms to facilitate the flow of money
away from library acquisition budgets to scholarly societies.
Any ideas?

Ian Russell
CEO, ALPSP