From: Enrico M. Balli <enrico@medialab.sissa.it>
Date: Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Subject: R: Rewarding reviewers
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

The real value of scientific journals today is the peer-review
processing. Indeed, the development of the electronic archives has
diminished the importance of the scientific journals as conveyors of
information, as they are no longer the main sources of scientific
information. Keeping in mind these facts, SISSA started several
years ago JHEP, the Journal of High Energy Physics, which is now
among the journals with the highest impact factor in his field. We
believe that the main reason for this success of our journal is the
high quality of the peer-review process.

Given that peer review is the most valuable asset of journals, in
the spirit that scientific work should be remunerated, we have
decided to allocate funds for this purpose and to pay a token fee
for every referee report beginning in 2008. We strongly feel that
this new practice in the policy of scientific journals is the right
step on the way to further improve the quality of our peer review
process.

Enrico M. Balli
Sissa Medialab
Via L. Stock 2/2, 34135 Trieste