Re: E-reserves lawsuit in NYTimes (Georgia State University)

An intriguing idea, but this takes all risk away from the user
and promotes irresponsible behavior, which is one of the standard
criticisms of insurance schemes for social benefits under the
rubric of "moral hazard," cleverly exploited over the past thirty
years by Republican policymakers and advisers like economist
Martin Feldstein (chair of President Reagan's Council of Economic
Advisors) that resulted in what Yale political scientist Jacob
Hacker has called the "Great Risk Shift" (see his Oxford book of
the same name: http://www.greatriskshift.com).

Another way of looking at this, also based on economic logic (see
Mancur Olson's "The Logic of Collective Action" published by
Harvard in 1965), is the idea of "free riding," as suggested in a
posting earlier by Joe Esposito. See my comments along these
lines here: http://insidehighered.com/news/2008/04/17/gsu

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

****