Re: BioOne Releases New Model Publication Agreement

Sandy,

Thanks for your close and thoughtful read of our model agreement,
as well as for your comments. Just a couple of points of
clarification (by no means an attempt to address every issue you
have raised):

1. The author's right to deposit the article in institutional or
subject repositories (which is what I take you to mean when you
say "distribute the article") immediately is presented as an
option for the publisher to choose. As we note in the
accompanying information sheet for publishers (p. 3, #3):

  [if and as required by your employing institution(s) or your
  funding source(s)] If you wish to allow authors to deposit their
  article in publicly accessible institutional and/or subject
  repositories during the exclusivity period without explicitly
  being required to do so, this phrase should be deleted. If, on
  the other hand, you prefer that authors not make voluntary
  deposit during the exclusivity period, this phrase should be
  retained."

2. BioOne is not a subsidized operation (initial capital
contributions by Charter Supporters have been reimbursed) and
must provide a sustainable revenue stream for its partner
publishers through royalties paid on subscription revenues.  For
more information on BioOne's business model, you may be
interested in reading Carpenter, Joseph, & Waltham, "A Survey of
Business Trends at BioOne Publishing Partners and Its
Implications for BioOne," portal: Libraries and the Academy 4.4
(2004): 465-84 (winner of the Johns Hopkins University Press
award for 2005 Best Article).

3. We completely agree--and have tried to be frank on this
point--that this model agreement is not suited to all
publishers--likely not even all BioOne publishers--(much as SERU
is not meant to replace all subscription licenses) or to all
fields of scholarship. We attempted to build in enough
flexibility, in the form of variable provisions, that it might be
of rather wider than narrower use. At a minimum, we hope that the
issues addressed in this agreement--especially those sections
that address author and publisher repository deposits--will serve
as a catalyst for discussion.

Best,

Mark

Mark Kurtz  |  Director of Business Development  |  BioOne
21 Dupont Circle Suite 800  |  Washington, DC  20036
Phone 202.296.2296  |  Fax 202.872.0884  |  Cell 617.669.4276
mkurtz@arl.org
www.BioOne.org