Bentham Science Publishers

Dear All,

I would be grateful if anyone could help me. I am interested in
an Open Access publisher called Bentham Science Publishers
(http://www.bentham.org/). I have been contacted by a number of
researchers who say that the company is bombarding them with
invitations to contribute papers to its journals. Apparently
requests by the recipients to remove them from Bentham's mailing
list have little or no effect.

I have tried to make contact with a number of people in the
company including Richard Scott, who is most often the person
whose name appears at the bottom of the invitation letters, and
was until recently listed as the editorial director of the
company on its web site (http://www.bentham.org/Contact.php). I
also copied into my emails Bentham's US contact Richard
Morrissey, and Matthew Honan, who earlier this year was also
described as the company's editorial director
(http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2008/01/bentham-oa-publishing-program.html).
Likewise I copied in Professor Thomas Salt, since he too has
signed some of the offending emails in his capacity as
Editor-in-Chief of a Bentham journal called Current
Neuropharmacology. Tom Salt appears to be based in the Department
of Visual Science at the Institute of Ophthalmology in London.

Despite all my attempts to make email contact with the company
and its representatives, however, the only response I have
received has come from someone called Mahmood Alam who seems to
be based in Pakistan. He informed me that Richard Scott was too
busy to speak with me, but invited me to email my questions to
him. After I sent some questions through to Mahmood Alam,
however, he failed to answer them.

I have also tried calling the telephone numbers listed on the
Bentham web site, but have only been able to get through to voice
mail messages. The number listed for Richard Morrissey simply
invites callers to email him (the address given is the one that I
have failed to get any response from).

I would be most grateful if anyone who has any knowledge of
Bentham, or any experience of publishing with the company, or
editing any of its journals, or anyone who regularly reads any of
the Bentham journals, could contact me on:
richardpoynder1@o2.co.uk.

Thank you.

Richard Poynder
www.richardpoynder.co.uk