Re: ACRL on OA--living in a glass house?

I note this in Peter Suber's April OA newsletter:

* College & Research Libraries (C&RL) began offering access to
preprints from the journal web site, but only for members of the
Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL).
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2008/03/acrl-mixed-messages-on-preprint-access.html

And I join him in asking why, for an organization like ACRL that
is a strong advocate of OA, does it follow a policy that
restricts access to its own journal?  Its policy appears to be
more limiting for the use of postprints, let alone preprints,
than those of many of the commercial publishers ACRL has long
condemned.  Is this a case of living in a glass house?

ACRL supports the use of Creative Commons licenses, but not
apparently for its own journal. How does it feel about the use of
the "author's addendum" by its own authors?

Sanford G. Thatcher
Director, Penn State Press
University Park, PA 16802-1003
http://www.psupress.org