Re: Copyediting. Why not in-house?

In fact, copy-editing is one of those publishing skills (typographical design, selection, and promotion are others in the core skill-set) where you sometimes get much, much more than you pay for. A really outstanding copy editor can add much more than they charge to the value of a book or an article. Mind you, one really has to care about books to see the value of these skills. That ultimately is the challenge for publishers and librarians who value culture of the book -- disaggregating and automating the skill set can sometimes be achieved at the expense of real quality.

So I suspect that Sandy's deeper point is that you may only and barely get what you pay for. Real quality and expertise is not fungible and cannot be bought ... it accrues and that is one good reason for the expertise being concentrated in publishing houses with a particular style and subject focus.

Adam Hodgkin