RE: Copyediting. Why not in-house?

As someone who does a fair amount of copy editing, both on the
job and on the side, some points:

What is "light" copy editing?  Editor and author may not agree.
I often find more adjustments than I originally envisioned,
despite the tools you describe.  Also, the text may or may not
require minimal work, but regularly, I find the footnotes require
extensive work and that work is not caught by spell-check,
although it will be aided by EndNotes or its equivalent, if your
campus has that available (ours can't afford it).

Setting up footnotes involves knowing the intended publication
and what is wanted, some of which may not be served by EndNotes
as many publications have their own "quirks." The footnotes often
require extensive reformatting and additional research to find
the full bibliographic information which is frequently
incomplete.  Now that there are new rules emerging for electronic
sources, I also find that the footnotes in papers are structured
to be reflective of the original print medium and do not include
the information reflecting the electronic sources. This is
further complicated now by such things as the inclusion of the
DOI (a new APA requirement), and so on.  "Light" is not the word
for this work.

If you were to create a hierarchy of "light" vs. "heavier"
editing, you would have to agree on the definitions up front,
which would take some negotiation and your time - for which you
would not be paid.  It might also set up a less than cordial
arrangement in the end, something that would likely impede the
progress of the work.  I would suggest that continuing with a
standard rate for copy editing, without delving into these
subjective definitions would be wiser.

I know the rates you quote are valid; however, not everyone
charges by the page; some charge by the hour, providing an
estimate to the client of the anticipated time the item will take
to copy edit.  The editor will inform the client if the estimate
is likely to change significantly and will do so as soon as that
becomes apparent.  It's a different model, but one that takes
into account the differences in the amount of work from page to
page.  While some may find this too open-ended, it guarantees a
per-hour rate that provides reasonable payment for work that
enhances the author's submission.

As a final note, if you bring this in-house, you might be flooded
with work, once the word is out. You might also find, as I do,
that many faculty in the institution all of a sudden expect this
work to be done for free.  It's supposed to be part of what the
institution does to support them.  I have run into this
frequently - the attitude simply changes once it's in-house.  If
you can convince faculty to build this into their grants,
enabling them to go out and hire someone, then it's no longer
in-house and they are more accepting of the situation.  Once it's
in-house, though, look out.  It's "just a quick once over,"
"shouldn't take any time, really," "isn't difficult work"
(although they can't do it themselves), and other statements of
the sort.  YOu would have to set very strict parameters before
you started.

Aline Soules Cal State East Bay
aline.soules@csueastbay.edu