Analog to Digital Query

Dear all,

Can anyone point me to published articles, other resources, or
even your own recollections about how libraries built and shared
their collections of peer reviewed journals in the pre-digital
era?

I'm particularly interested in the question of whether the
practical loss of libraries' first sale rights has had an impact
on the circulation of this literature or its price.  (As you
probably know, copyright law's first sale doctrine gives the
purchaser of a copy the right to sell or lend that copy without
having to ask the copyright owner's permission.  When a library
licenses access to a publisher's database instead of purchasing
copies, the library no longer owns copies that it can lend
(through ILL) or sell in a market for used serials.)

Specifically, was (and is) there a market for used, peer reviewed
serials (bound or unbound)?  If so, I'm interested in the
details.  Why would a library sell these?  (Owned more than one
set?  No longer collecting in particular discipline?)  Who were
the purchasers?

Thanks in advance,

Michael W. Carroll
Professor of Law