From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu on behalf of Athena  Hoeppner
Sent: Thu 3/27/2008 5:33 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: APA Style Guide to Electronic References license question

The UCF Libraries simply printed copies of the PDF (11 to match
our 11 copies of the book), put them in some sort of binding, and
shelved them with the books.  We are not keeping a copy of the
PDF.

Athena Hoeppner
Electronic Resources Librarian
University of Central Florida Libraries
athena@mail.ucf.edu    (407)823-5049

>>> "Betty Kellogg" <bkellogg@nu.edu> 26/Mar/08 6:41 >>>

I had a question about this paragraph in the license for the .pdf
ebook version of the APA Style Guide to Electronic References.

http://forms.apa.org/books/styleguide/electronic.pdf

Licensee is granted the right by the Licensor to print copies of
APA Style Guide to Electronic References equal to, but not
greater than, the number of print copies in all available formats
(hardcover, softcover, and spiralbound) of the Publication Manual
of the American Psychological Association(r), Fifth Edition, that
the Licensee possesses in its holdings.

Rights to print additional copies above and beyond this number
must be separately purchased, and are not granted under this
license.

I can't think of a way to monitor the number of times a .pdf
document is printed. I might be able to change the document
security to disable printing, but the patron could save it to
their computer and print the document from there.  Does anyone
have any ideas that would allow me to enforce the license
restriction?

Betty Kellogg
Research & Electronic Resource Coordinator
National University Library
San Diego, CA