From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:35 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Deposit Mandates as part of Publisher Services

As your Iowa example indicates, there has been a little pushback
against the mandated deposit of dissertations in IRs or
centralized databases like ProQuest's or the Networked Digital
library of Theses and Dissertations.  But I emphasize "little."
In truth, junior faculty put themselves at a disadvantage by
having their dissertations archived in such places because, as I
have written elsewhere, many libraries refuse to purchase books
based on dissertations, and in turn presses become reluctant to
publish them because their sales tend to be lower.  Exceptions
are mostly made for dissertations in science where patent issues
are involved.

I won't dispute your contention that journal authors are not
motivated to publish for monetary gain. In fact, though, some of
them profit very handsomely from having their articles frequently
reprinted and used in coursepacks. Some of our journal authors
have made far more money from these sales than our book authors
have made from royalties.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press