RE: Flashback to 1971: formalizing informal communication channels

Phil's observation hardly rambles--and departures from the
pedestrian are prized by a list-lurker like me. My thanks for the
offering.

Garvey and Griffith offer a sharp reminder of the organizing
power of a discipline, which is designed to structure
consideration by vetting observations, assertions, conclusions,
and other claims to truth in accredited ways: through refereed
journal publishing; holding conferences and symposia;
promulgating standards, guidelines and best practices; and so on.

But the more I think of this excerpt, the more it smacks of tory
history in its willingness to label only as "judicious" a process
that at times may also be arbitrary, retrograde, or
discriminatory. Leslie White was right when he said that "science
is 'sciencing'", and my less than original point is that the
"institution of science" amounts to a bunch of people engaging in
a wide variety of practices related to what we might call
scientific enquiry motivated by desires to solve problems, make
money, safeguard truth, investigate the unknown, and so forth
into the sustained and varied drive of the ego. Converting
informal information into formal knowledge certainly is a long
process, but in this bazaar of activities, it probably is not as
judicious as Garvey and Griffith think it is.

And to Phil's question about keeping separate formal and informal
communication processes, perhaps the issue is more about
establishing a continuum of work products for practitioners for
them to ascribe value to what they encounter. I mean, has the
enterprise of physics or economics been hurt or helped by the
speedy transmission of informal information through e-mail,
e-print servers, and institutional repositories? And has the
presence of both sanctioned/published and unsanctioned/pre-pub
materials in an IR really begun to dismantle science's walls of
rigor?

--Joe Toth
Middlebury College