Re: Open Access: a role for the Aggregators

This is a very interesting suggestion, and one that dovetails
with our thinking at BioOne. Our OA collection currently has 8
titles (with the addition in 2008 of 5 titles from Conservation
International), and we are exploring ways to grow it on a
sustainable basis. At present, we ask OA titles to either submit
their content in NLM XML or pay for their conversion and online
can cover that via author fees, but for most titles in
organismal, environmental, and integrative biology, author
charges are not an option--and this is a significant limiting
factor. And of course, the costs of building and maintaining a
sophisticated hosting platform extend well beyond conversion and
OA.

Recently we've been exploring the possibility of asking libraries
to contribute to the financial sustainability of our OA
collection, whether as a small percentage of their licensing fee
to the subscribed collection(s) (allowing libraries to contribute
on a proportional basis), or on a per-journal charge of the sort
you suggest. We have discussed an opt-in model, whereby
subscribing libraries could agree to be invoiced for the
additional amount by checking a box on the subscriber license.

The problem is, as ever, that of free ridership. Would the
benefit to library subscribers you identify--"more content
accessible through one familiar, well-developed tool with lots of
support..." be a sufficient incentive to escape the conundrum of
free ridership and establish a new economic settlement (as we at
BioOne think of it) for scholarly publishing?

We would genuinely appreciate feedback from the members of this
list.

Mark Kurtz  |  Director of Business Development  |  BioOne
21 Dupont Circle Suite 800  |  Washington, DC  20036
Phone 202.296.2296  |  Fax 202.872.0884  |  Cell 617.669.4276
mkurtz@arl.org
www.BioOne.org