Re: Authors rights: Going too far

Of course , it is true. More amusingly, I have no quarrel with
the first part of the statement below. Advancing careers,
demonstrating tangible results, assessing staff, allowing
research to feed into teaching and new service developments,
including commercial ones, can be impeded by excessive transfers
of rights. All these elements are important elements of
scientific research at its management and policy levels.
Librarians paying attention to these details are demonstrating
themselves to be good citizens.

The last part beginning with "The purpose of research ..." is on a
different point which I did not address.

Jean-Claude Guedon