Re: local/distributed vs global/unified archives

I don't agree with the first sentence. The most important factors
for "universities" is power and influence over scientists that
don't care about the "university", which means control and
bureucracy and meetings, meetings and more meetings.

They care about their scientific field, about collegues about
books and journals. Now they have to learn the hard way who pays
their salaries and who controls their thinking. I don't think
"universities care about open access or additional prestige. They
are the kings and they are not interested in promoting
"intellectual stars". Power and control over these thinkers is
the goal. First the archive, then the mandate and thirdly they
hire an expert in bibliometrics. Guess why.

Morst frightening is that they want to take control again over
the university presses and see to it that the right people are
publishing the right academic things. Open access is a threat
against free thinking.

Jan